Thursday, December 27, 2012

Happiness


HAPPINESS

Happiness is fleeting; it's gone before it's here,

Unlike other emotions, such as anger, greed or fear.

They linger through a morning, or carry-on till night

It may be days and days and days before they're out of sight.

Happiness is different; it catches one by the throat

And then, before you know it, you find you've missed the boat!

Should you think to question it it's off  into thin air

And then it leaves you wondering if it was even there.

We often remember happiness and then it seems more real

Than the fleeting happiness of today, a much harder thing to feel.

A Will-o-the-Wisp is happiness, a hovering butterfly;

Try to catch it in your hand, it will be off into the sky.
*
--------------------------------------------------------------------

IN CHARGE

This map shows nations of the world where religion is in charge,

Where the government promotes  it, and  it's always looming large.

In many of the other lands of course, religion, too, holds sway

But it isn't a form of discipline in quite that ruling way.

Religion should be personal, to accept or leave alone.

I'm glad that form of government is one I've never known.

I'd love to look inside the heads of those who kneel and pray

To find out if they're genuine or do they just obey.

How fortunate I am that I  can act the way I please

And I can say whatever I like when I am on my knees!
*
brebry@gmail.com

No comments: