Saturday, March 17, 2012

My First Car


WEEKEND IN BLACK AND WHITE
http://blackandwhiteweekend.blogspot.com.au 


MY FIRST CAR

I don't remember cars;
They don't loom large for me.
I think of them as objects
That get me from A to B.
With the exception of this one!
The first one that was mine!
It was a Beetle, coloured red,
And I thought it very fine.
Here I am in Zimbabwe
Sixty years ago,
Darker hair and smaller waist
And the wrinkles were yet to show!
Poor old bright red Beetle!
Destroyed now, that's quite clear.
As for that female person....
She's battered, but she's still here!
*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------



THE CURTAIN PARTED

It was just a glimpse in passing,
Just a glance and nothing more,
Just a quiver of a curtain,
Where no stir had been before.
Just a flash of dark eyes watching,
Just a blur of a frightened face,
Just a sense of desperation
Before the curtain fell in place.
Maybe I had been mistaken;
Maybe there was nothing there;
Maybe my imagination
Had made me hesitate and stare.
Foolish me, to see a drama
In a breeze-blown curtain's fall!
I shrugged my shoulders, almost laughing,
There was nothing there at all!
But still the visionary instant
Lingered with me all the day.
And my eyes sought out the window
As I homeward made my way.
Heavy curtains drawn completely!
Nothing sinister to see.
Fanciful! Thus I described it,
That image that had worried me.
Till, next day, I read headline,
'Murder victim number two!'
Till I saw the young girl's picture
And there was nothing I could do.
*

5 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Love the photo of you with your first car. Nice hourglass figure, too.
My first car was a light blue Beetle. Next one was a navy blue Beetle.
K

Whispering Thoughts said...

She's battered, but she's still here ...
These words are so touching.
Regards,
Ruby

HansHB said...

Great photo!
My first car was also a WV!

genie said...

I adore you and your first car. I was born in 1939, and mine was a little 2 door Plymouth coupe with a split windshield. I can remember it as if it were in the room with me right now. Your outfit looks just like the ones my sister wore and very similar to mine. It is such fun to see the old shots when we pull them out. genie

Dragonstar said...

That's a lovely photo of you and your car.