Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Gadzookery



ABC WEDNESDAY

GADZOOKERY
Are you into writing plays
With other manners, other ways?
Are your characters Earls and Dukes?
 Then let them utter the word 'Gadzooks'.
That's a word that sets the stage
For oaths of a very different age.
The fact that they were all blaspheming,
Should have sent the audience screaming.
'God's Hooks!', the nails of the Crucifixion
Have been added to your little fiction.
Be that as it may, it's a useful phrase
For setting the scene in amateur plays.
Melodramatic bits of frippery
Need a bit of bodice-rippery!
So use Gadzookery if you must,
Then launch into frilly-costumed lust.
The gent above spies  a lady's hips
And the word 'Gadzooks' is on his lips!
Are your characters Earls and Dukes?
Then let them utter the word 'Gadzooks'.
*

------------------------------------------------------------


WINDOW ON WATER

Outside the heat is blistering;
In here the air is cool.
There's the gentle ripple-ripple
Of the lovely turquoise pool.
With the sparkle of the sunlight
Twinkling in each direction
We can build a little fantasy
Of weather-wise perfection.
*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS
No photo, but I had a heart-stopping experience early yesterday morning! VERY early! It was just before two a.m. and I couldn't sleep, so I got up to blog (as you do!) Imagine my horror when this message, or something very like it, met my eyes.....'Illegal activity! This blog has been removed!' I have no idea what lay behind it! I was asked to send my mobile phone number and then a verification number was sent to it. I clicked on it and all was well. But what if I hadn't got a mobile phone (many of my elderly friends haven't.)! I was so horrified by the whole episode (it would have been the end of my blogging after nearly four years) that I woke Malcolm to share my distress and he had to make me a cup of tea to calm me down! Quite a night!

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Your denial of service thing was pretty scary.

We don't say 'gadzooks' nearly enough in the colonies.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

photowannabe said...

Gadzooks, that is really scary.
People will try anything to get your info.

Sharp Little Pencil said...

Beware "Denial of Service" messages. They are trying to get info. Take your computer to a repair shop NOW, hon.

I love the word Gadzooks almost as I love the words gobsmacked, cake-eater (as in "Shut your...), and kudzu. This was a wonderful take on the classics. Thanks! Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/02/29/twofer-gumm-and-gummer/

just some guy said...

Gadzookery is also an archaic acronym word game. Maybe you'll enjoy it? its launches in September http://bit.ly/Pt7jqV