Sunday, October 30, 2011

Too Difficult!



CARRY ON TUESDAY
http://carryontuesdayprompt.blogspot.com

The words in blue are the last words of Beatle George Harrison.


TOO DIFFICULT!

If the concept that you're after is the age-old one of 'Love',
Just try to Google  a picture of what you're thinking of!
You'll find lots of hearts and flowers and Cupids by the score,
As though it's only sexual love that you are looking for.
Romance is very charming, there's just no doubt about it,
And the mating game would be quite dull if we had to live without it.
But the 'Love one another' that's quoted is something else again,
And, in my case, trying to do it goes right against the grain.
I can't love unreservedly, I can't love one and all,
My ability to go overboard is really very small.
'Affection', yes, I do feel that; I'm happy with that word.
But the idea of loving everyone seems crazy and absurd.
Even my nearest and dearest don't get love constantly;
My love comes in spasms, like writing poetry.
Jesus had the right idea.....'Do unto others as you
Would they should do unto you'; words that are very true.
I like the element of selfishness, the looking for a reward;
Just 'being nice' to others; not going overboard.
Act as though you love one another and that will do the trick.
'Loving-kindness', the Buddha's word, is the one that I would pick.
It's too hard to 'love one another'; it requires a lot of passion.
But loving-kindness is something that we never need to ration.
If we want a world of tolerance, respect and mutual care
We must pretend to love one another, and then we may get there.
*

-----------------------------------------------------------------


DIGNITY AND IMPUDENCE
(A cinquain)

Spray.
Sparkle, shimmer.
Cascading, arching, curving.
Dividing Spring into droplets.
Fountain.

5 comments:

vivinfrance said...

I agree entirely - it's the trying that counts.

Whitesnake said...

Ahhh Yes Christmas is in the air, the only day of the year when we all pretend to love everyone and everything!

Belva Rae Staples said...

If we would try, practice and pretend, love would soon become reality. Lovely poem!

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

what a cheer for coming holiday season.

smiles.

Peggy said...

Yes indeed, I know just what you mean in this one--loving everyone all the time is just too hard!