Friday, July 29, 2011

Waxen!


BOOK BLURB FRIDAY
supplied this book cover.

Will the following blurb encourage you to buy the book?

WAXEN!
by Arnold Mackenburger.
(The Sequel to his much-loved novel 'The Works!')

The headless waxwork figure lay on the ground.
The head had rolled to one side.
But the eyes! The eyes!
Chantelle had been known as 'The Brown-Eyed Bombshell'!
Who had smashed the figure?
Who had altered the colour of the eyes?
Who had hated Chantelle so much?
Visit the seedy world of back-stage!
Will you discover the criminal before he discovers YOU?
*


The Wax-Workers' Herald: I thought I knew wax but this novel gave greater insight!

------------------------------------------------------------------



LOVE IN THE MEADOW.

Last summer, in the meadow, we lay beneath a tree
Softly speaking, saying words of love.
And all of Nature seemed to share in our felicity
And understand what we were dreaming of.
Our love would last forever, yes, that was what we said;
We were such perfect partners, you and I.
So we lay and planned our future, looking many years ahead,
As hour by hour the blissful time went by.
We kissed, we hugged, we even slept, the sun began to set;
I rose then to return to daily life,
Still in my magic bubble, one I would not forget.
I walked home knowing I would be your wife.
But, before we left, I looked down at the shape of you and me
In the meadow grass among the meadow flowers,
There was the perfect outline underneath the arching tree,
The flattened shape of Romance, that was ours
*
Later on you phoned ...... ' I didn't mean the words I said!
I'm just not ready! It was a mistake!'
The next day, on the grapevine, I learned that you had fled!
Leaving my heart as one great burning ache.
*
I went back to the meadow; I went back to the tree;
I gazed down at the grasses, standing tall.
Not a sign of passion and no trace of you and me!
Who could have guessed that driving rain would fall!
Summer rain! Erase the picture! Summer tears! Erase the pain!
Summer dreams be seen as merely Summer dross!
Goodbye to the meadow where I'll never walk again!
The line is fine dividing Love and Loss.
* 

1 comment:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Excellent blurb, and quite different from any of the others. I enjoyed it.

Love in the Meadow shows a harsh reality, and sad for the one left alone in the meadow. Nicely written.