Thursday, January 20, 2011

Serendipity

WEDNESDAY POETRY PROMPTS
'Serendipity'

SERENDIPITY
(An Acrostic)

Such accidental happiness!
Exceptional delight!
Ridiculous coincidence!
Each one grey and white!
Nestling sweetly side by side,
Doubling the surprise!
Isn't serendipity
Perfect in our eyes?
It almost seems to make us feel
That life is organised!
Yet I think this is a put-up job
(I wouldn't be surprised!)
*
-------------------------------------------------------------------
IN THE BEGINNING

In the beginning was The Mincer
And the strong right arm of the cook.
My mother let me stand in the kitchen
So that I could get a good look.
First it was screwed to the table,
With a very firm twist of Mum's hand.
Monday was Washday at our house;
Meat-cakes were in great demand.
We'd had our Big Meal on the Sunday;
The joint and the gravy and such,
And now we would eat the leftovers,
The meat-cakes that I loved so much.
The cooked meat was fed into one end;
The spirals came twizzling out,
Each one like a very small sausage!
It was magic, without any doubt!
My mother then scooped up the minced-meat
And added ....well, what did she add?
I only know they were delicious!
And an equally big hit with Dad!
I think there was onion, all grated
(She must have wept buckets I fear).
When she started I fled from the kitchen
So I never suffered a tear!
There must have egg-yolk to mix it,
But, however much I may age,
The taste and aroma I'll treasure
Is the wonderful flavour of SAGE.
Those meat-cakes were straight out of heaven!
Not a morsel was let go to waste.
There's never been anything better
For aroma and texture and taste.
And we owed it all to The Mincer!
Such a miracle of design!
Have you got one in your kitchen?
I haven't got one in mine.
*

5 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

I remember my grandmother's mincer! I thought it was the neatest thing when I was a kid.

Anonymous said...

I love your cat and rabbit photo - I once went one step further had a cat and rabiit with those sort of similar markings and then got a border collie - felt as if I was Cruella DeVille.

Kat said...

SERENDIPITY: Rightly Sherlockholmed...!! It's an inside, put-up job indeed..!!!

IN THE BEGINNING: And we owed it all to The Mincer!

hmmmm... I think you all owed it to your Mom :-))))

La said...

Serendipity is such a pretty word.

Yes, I do have a mincer. :o)

Happy Thursday! La

Anonymous said...

I came to your marvellous mincer serendipitiously, by looking for your other poem. Both are brilliant!