Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sky-Scrapings


                                        Brenda Bryant

SKYSCRAPINGS!

If you scrape the sky in Sydney
You end up with a mass of blue,
With one or two little white bits
Gently passing through.
*
'Hurry up!' my friends all told me,
'We really cannot wait
For you to take a photograph!
Already we're quite late!
What's so special, anyway?
Just a great glassy sheet!
No need for you to stop and click
In the middle of the street!'
And so the others surged away
In a great big friendly bunch,
Off to a favourite restaurant
To have a bite of lunch.
While I stood taking photographs
With 'reflections' on my mind.
And then I had to rush like mad
For I had been left behind!
*
If you scrape the sky in Sydney
You end up with a mass of blue,
With one or two little white bits
Gently passing through
*

------------------------------------------------------------------


 THE PARTING OF THE WAYS.


So you see a bird!
I aways knew we were incompatible!
How dull you are;
Seeing what you think you have to see.
Doing as you're told!
Your horizon limited by what you think you should see.
A mere human in a world of angels!
So bland, so conventional, so boring!
I'll give you the horizon;
That I also see.
But a bird?
Don't be absurd!
I see a grey, blotched wall
And an oddly-shaped window.
The top swoops down like a twister;
The left-hand side bears a startling resemblance
To a chimp begging for a kiss;
And, on the right, there's a hill
With an interesting cave.
I long to squeeze through that jagged window
And hover in that blue sky,
Like a bird.
But my own bird, not yours.
I'll pack my bags in the morning.
*

1 comment:

Margaret Gosden said...

Skyscrapings is a wonderful photo - wish I had taken that! I had the same experience when taking the photo of the waterfall sculpture in NYC - my friend slowed her pace but I still had to catch up; that day in NYC was a beautiful day in midtown and it was one of those very productive days for photography - and Picasso's print exhibit at MoMA was a treat!