Thursday, August 12, 2010

Oasis



WEEKEND IN BLACK AND WHITE

This could be your average shopping-street
But they've turned it into a glade,
Where people can stroll or sit and rest
In the generous green-leaved shade.
*
------------------------------------------------------------
SILVER AND BLUE

The silver birches sang to me
As I was walking by.
Their branches etched, with elegance,
Against the light blue sky.
And suddenly ....I can't explain....
I absolutely knew
That the background to my life would be
Silver and blue.
*
The birches of that Northern home
Were delicate and slim,
And sometimes, in that light blue sky,
The sun shone pale and dim,
But, even so..... I can't explain....
I felt that it was true
That the background to my life would be
Silver and blue.
*
The gum-trees of my Southern home
Are birches in disguise.
They flash their silver bark against
Delirious blue skies.
But they prove that it has happened
As I guessed that it would do.
For the background to my life is still
Silver and blue.
*
And when I see the eucalypts
With their lovely silver sheen,
I think back to that other land
And trees of a different green.
And I feel a certain homesick pang
For the land where birches grew.
Though the background to my life is still
Silver and blue.
*
-----------------------------------------------------
P.S.

A week ago it looked as though Julia Gillard hadn't got a hope of retaining her Prime Ministerial position, but she gave a great TV performance the other night and she's crept up the polls.
I had a great day yesterday. I performed my poetry for another club inthe morning and had lunch with their charming members, and I taught Max and Harry in the afternoon. But I forgot to take any photos!

2 comments:

Dragonstar said...

I like trees in shopping areas, it makes everything look so much more friendly.

John McDevitt said...

A very human shot Brenda. Nice work.