Friday, November 13, 2009

Sydney Dawn




SKYWATCH
http://skyley.blogspot.com/2009/11/skywatch-friday-season-4-episode-18.html


SYDNEY DAWN


It was dark.
The lights of home
Were pricked out like stars.
As we approached they grew to moons;
Small moons that were friendly.
*
Then the sky began to flush
With the excitement of our arrival
*
The ship slid past the bridge.
The flags waved at us.
*
The black buildings
No longer loomed.
Gradually they threw off their cloaks
And turned
To give us a creamy welcome.
*
The water ceased twinkling
And smoothed its silk.
*
Faint voices drifted to us
From the quay-side.
The workers seemed less aware of the drama
Than the sky and the sea!
They whistled, shouted.
*
The spell was broken.
Day dawned.
*
Cruising 'once upon a time' here:

14 comments:

Jim said...

Terrific dawn shot.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Japa said...

Very good perspective. And I liked the poetic word that came with it. so apt and complimentary. Have a good weekend.

Thumbelina said...

Lovely words to match the picture. It looks like the dawn of a new day. Great shot. Beautiful architecture.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful poem and a beautiful photo of the Sydney harbor? Pretty skies.

Sylvia K said...

Lovely words as always, Brenda and they go perfectly with the photo -- a great shot!

Enjoy your weekend!

Sylvia

hetty said...

The perfect words to match a perfect photo!

Gill - That British Woman said...

great photo and poem.

I haven't been by in a while, I hope you are well.

Gill in Canada

April said...

Reading your beautiful descriptive poem and looking at your photo I feel as though I'm there. Very nice!

Hildred said...

Soft gentle sky behind that great photo of the Bridge. Quite lovely.

Polly Jones said...

I love being able to experience a Sydney dawn from across the world. Beautiful!

Lucy Corrander said...

I like your 'Rimes'. This one seems clever to me in that by using a strong sense of place you create an atmosphere of travel. Docks are always exciting places to be, sharing (as they do for me anyway) in a sense of the exotic . . . you can almost smell the places they are linked to through the sea and ships and the nationalities of the workers.

Funny thing too is that wherever we are in the world, dawn is one of the few experiences we have in common.

Lucy

Darlene said...

I love the dawn, maybe that's because it's my mother's name. The quiet is so peaceful until the humans break the spell with their noise. You have captured that feeling well with your poem.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Must be one of the most recognisable sights in the world! I do so want to see it myself one day. I wondered if your poem described the time you first arrived in Australia - new dawn and all?
Janice.

agent112778 said...

superb shot

my entry is here


Great day for us Sky Watchers:)

Thanx for the Visit :)