Monday, September 7, 2009

Blue Blood


BLUE MONDAY
http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/


BLUE BLOOD

In feudal times the peasants worked outside in the blazing sun.
Their skin grew swarthy, gnarled and rough; in other words, 'over-done'!
The gentry, on the other hand, stayed indoors in the shade.
Their skin was white and delicate, not marked by toil or trade.
When a peasant showed his inner-arm, all work-scarred and unclean,
The blood beneath the surface, in his veins, could not be seen.
But the veins of the landed gentry showed up all clear and blue,
Proof their superiority was surely showing through.
So, if you were blue-blooded, it was very quickly seen,
Especially if you happened to be a reigning King and Queen!
*
More snobbery here:

7 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

How interesting. And your post caused me to wiki "blue blood" and discover that more or less the same expression is used in many different societies and languages.

Quilly said...

Hmmm, I am tanned. Alas.

SmilingSally said...

Even though I'm a worker, I'm a blue blood because I've never liked the outdoors! No tans for me. I love your blue post today. Happy Labor Day! Happy Blue Monday.

Cindy said...

Wow, that is neat. I'll have to hook up to your link.
cindy

Mary Bergfeld said...

That is fascinating! Who knew :-). I hope you are having a wonderful day.

LV said...

I enjoyed the history lesson for today. One reason I like this blog business, I get to see and learn so much from others. Thank you for sharing.

Sarah said...

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. If you have time stop by the QCI blog for a late Blue Monday post. Happy Blue Monday! ~ Sarah