Saturday, July 5, 2008

50. Grandmother's Diary

Yesterday's Spree was very successful.
(There are photos of it on my Clickpicks page)
I actually wrote the following rather cynical poem years before I had grandchildren At that time I was only viewing other peoples' 'brats'! Now I have my own, I realise the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

GRANDMOTHER'S DIARY
(Tongue in cheek)

Entry May 15th 2001

My daughter is coming to visit today with HIM!
At the thought of that beautiful baby my eyes grow dim.
He'll be tenderly placed in my lap
And I'll cuddle the dear little chap
And my cup will be flowing with happiness, up to the brim.

In the garden we've set-up a miniature jungle-gym
And we've put in a pool, for he'll certainly learn to swim.
We've bought him a full set of drums;
He can play them whenever he comes:
And a leather-bound book of the tales of the Brothers Grimm.

It's foolish, I know, but I'll bow to his every whim,
And I'll call him his silly old Granny's own Tiny Tim.
Today we'll be forging a bond
That will last us through life and beyond.
My daughter is coming to visit today with HIM!

Entry May 15th 2008

My daughter is coming to visit today with HIM!
And I know that the outlook is more than a little grim.
He'll race around shouting 'Yippee!'
While his mother pretends not to see
That he's tearing my baby-doll ornaments limb from limb!

He's already ruined the beautiful jungle-gym
And the swimming pool's battered and broken around the rim!
Our pekingese hides in the shed
And our cockatoo tries to play dead,
And our goldfish are so out of sorts they can hardly swim!

He bashes those drums with an over-abundance of vim
And I know that my chances of taking a nap are slim!
They tell me it's all just a phase,
But today will be 'one of those days!'
My daughter is coming to visit today with HIM.

10 comments:

Diana S said...

Hi Brenda, thanks for visiting! your poems are great! sounds like you have a hurricane of a grandson. what a switch from 7 years ago huh? wonder what the next 7 will bring :)

Anonymous said...

This is funny! I just made poor OC listen while I read it aloud. He is on page four of the brand new novel just put out by his favorite author. While I read he stared at me with great patience.

Cecily R said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog! Your poems are wonderful!

My kids are and were the same way with my grandmother when we visit. I know when they were snuggly babies she was thrilled to have us visit and now...well, she still loves us anyway! :)

david mcmahon said...

G'day Brenda - really enjoyed my first visit here.

Far too cold to swim here in Melbourne. I had ice on the car today!

Have a great weekend.

Cheffie-Mom said...

Hi, I saw your comment on David's blog. I would love to blog with you also! Please visit my blog at www.dishingwithdebbie.com/wordpress. I celebrate family and food! Have a wonderful weekend!

Rambling Woods said...

Love the poems..I am waiting to be a grandmother, but I think it will be a while yet...I don't write poetry, but blog nature in my yard...

Bear Naked said...

Brenda
Every time I read one of your poems I am amazed.
Not only are you a great poet but an astute observer of mankind.
Thanks for another wonderful poem.

Bear

quiettea said...

Hi Brenda! Greetings from Singapore! I enjoy this post because I find it a little cheeky for me, and I have never seen anything from a grandmother's perspective! There is a warm, fuzzy feeling in me :)

Amirah

Maggie May said...

Ha Ha! That is SO funny!

Kat said...

You really made that sound great..!! ;))))

When am I going to become Grandpa.... pant... pant.. pant....!!!!