Tuesday, June 17, 2008

27. A Very Fine Vintage

I have always been jealous of wines. Why? Because they have been allocated some of the most delicious adjectives known to man. I'm also filled with envy because vintage wines are treated with reverence, while 'young' wines are not respected. I want to be a wine! The Hunter Valley, renowned for its vineyards, lies very near Newcastle and is one of our tourist attractions. It was here that James Busby, in the early days, introduced the vine to New South Wales. But every time I visit the vineyards I feel, as an elderly woman, a member of a very unappreciated species! (View the Hunter Valley on my Clickpicks Blog.)

A VERY FINE VINTAGE.

James Busby was responsible, or so the legends tell,
For descriptions of the local grapes. He described them very well.
But it was reprehensible that all that flowery fuss
Was wasted on some greenery when it so-o-o-o applies to us!
No not to those still young and cute, for that would be absurd,
They should describe maturer fruit! Witness this old bird!

My glass is oh so roundly curved, so comforting to hold
And the wine that's flowing through my veins is made of liquid gold.
Yes, mine is a very fine vintage, circa nineteen-thirty-one!
And yes, that was 'a very good year', (though threatened by the Hun!)
Of course, I'm 'plump and generous', the years have seen to that,
And it's quite clear when I effervesce that they'll never find me flat!

Gentlemen who sample me may try to guess my date,
They'll remark on my maturity and that's absolutely great.
With my earthy taste and my zesty nose (!) I'm elegantly sleek.
There's just a whiff of last year's rose and a tiny hint of teak.
I'm refreshingly unpretentious and I linger on the tongue
I'm a collector's item for I'll never be described as young.

I'm a forward little drop with the depth of plum and even a little spice;
I may be slightly more tart than some, but good value at the price!
My colour is rich and splendid and my bubbles big and bright.
Imagine something syrup-sweet with a sexy, zingy bite!
So look for an ancient vintage when you're hell-bent on a spree.
For, if you are a connoisseur, you're certain to choose ME!

1 comment:

Kat said...

Thanks Brenda for the compliment...

I AM A CONNOISSEUR :-)))

I come here for my daily dose of wine. Not for my tongue or tummy, but for my heart.

May I suggest something... Could you please reword the Senior-Stuff in your blog name?

You're one of the youngest and bubblingest girl I've met in my life..!! :-)))